Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Compassion International

Yesterday, for our chapel the main speaker spoke about Compassion International! It was great! Yet, at the same time, I was also a little sadden. The speaker was a great speaker do NOT get me wrong! But it seemed like he had planned to talk about Compassion right after he had played with everyone's emotions. While emotions can be considered a great and wonderful thing...is it possible to make desicions out of emotions that afterwards you regret? After the service, people raced to the table in order to secure their child to sponsor. In what would seem as a beautiful moment, I was a little worried. Now while supporting a child is AWESOME, if you can do it do it! But I only think that it is a good think if you actually think about what your doing and not do it out of emotions of that moment. I felt codendeming and pathetic as my thought processes turned over and over. "What if they drop their kid after a couple of months?", "Hmmm...at least that child would have been supported for a couple of months, right?" Maybe, but is that good? While yes I agree that many college students can do such a endeavor, not all of us can. I do agree that if you can find a group to help sponsor go for it! But think it through. How is support over the summer going to work? If your in a group, one must decide who the money will be sent to. I pray that those that made the desicion to support follow through. Compassion is such a good cause and the plight of the kids in need does indeed scream out. As of now, without money to support, I must ask myself, "Is short-term support the answer?" Or perhaps the words of Hudson Taylor might have the answer needed,
Perhaps if there were more of that intense distress for souls that leads to tears, we should more frequently see the results we desire. Sometimes it may be that while we are complaining of the hardness of the hearts of those we are seeking to benefit, the hardness of our own hearts and our feeble apprehension of the solemn reality of eternal things may be the true cause of our want of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Knoxville, Tennessee

Knoxville, Tennessee